As a new parent, you might have a lot of questions about the circumcision process in Bingham Farms, MI. The team at Michigan Circumcision wants to help educate you on how we are able to perform circumcisions safely and accurately right here in our local area.
We perform male newborn circumcisions for the following population:
- Full-term babies up to 30 days of age.
- Premature babies with corrected gestational age less than 44 weeks, who weight less than 10 pounds.
- Babies born in birthing centers or in the home.
- Babies who have not received Vitamin K injections.
- Babies who were not well enough to have the procedure after birth, but are now healthy.
- Families who wish for an intimate experience.
- Families that wish to be present during the procedure.
- Families wishing for a quick operating time with minimal distress to the baby.
- Families looking for an experienced circumcision practitioner with a long track record of success.
Upon arrival to our office, you will be greeted by our front desk who will ask you to sign standard HIPAA and financial agreements. We will also ask you for a copy of your insurance card and driver’s license, and ask you to complete patient forms. The parents and baby are then invited back to a spacious surgical room.
A medical assistant will ask you to sign a surgical consent for the procedure. If your baby has not received Vitamin K, an additional consent will be requested. Also, we ask that you place all supplies on the exam table (including burp clothes, gauze, ointment, diapers, wipes, and grape juice). Dr. Singer will then greet the parents and briefly discuss the risks and benefits of circumcision, and answer any questions you may have.
Soothing music is played, and the baby is offered a sugar solution that relaxes him and raises his natural “pain killers.” We will then place him on a padded board where his legs are held still. While he is sucking on the sugar and soothed by one of his parents, local anesthetic is administered through 2 subdermal injections. Most babies feel little discomfort during the injections.
The baby is then immediately taken off the board and handed to his parents until the anesthetic takes effect. After about 7 minutes, Dr. Singer will return to perform the circumcision, which has an operating time of about 70 seconds. Most babies feel no pain during the circumcision process.
Upon completion of the procedure, the parents will view a 10-minute aftercare video demonstrating practical aspects of taking care of the circumcision site. Dr. Singer will also review the aftercare with the family, assisting with bandage changes over the next 45 minutes. The baby is usually ready to leave one hour after the procedure is complete.
We recommend a follow-up appointment to the clinic 7-14 days later to ensure proper healing. Alternatively, if distance precludes a follow-up appointment, then digital photos may be securely sent to Dr. Singer to confirm proper healing. You should plan on being in the office for about 90 minutes from start to finish.